Kennebunk Inn – HauntedHouses.com
• Spirits didn’t approve of the new additions, resulting in startling paranormal activity.
This 1799, three story, Federal Victorian 22 room Inn was originally built as a private home for a doctor, Phineas Cole and his family. This home was owned by several families until it was converted into an inn in the late 1920s, called “The Tavern.” In 1940, Walter Day bought the place, and expanded the inn to 16 rooms and renamed it the Kennebunk Inn. In 1980, Arthur LeBlanc bought the Kennebunk Inn and added 6 more rooms…
Kennebunk Inn – HauntedHouses.com
45 Main Street,
Kennebunk, Maine 04043.
The town of Kennebunk is located in the southwest corner of Maine, and is eleven miles south of Biddeford, on U.S. Highway 1.
DESCRIPTION / HISTORY:
This 1799, three story, Federal Victorian 22 room Inn was originally built as a private home for a doctor, Phineas Cole and his family. This home was owned by several families until it was converted into an inn in the late 1920s, called “The Tavern.” In 1940, Walter Day bought the place, and expanded the inn to 16 rooms and renamed it the Kennebunk Inn. In 1980, Arthur LeBlanc bought the Kennebunk Inn and added 6 more rooms.
After the Kennebunk Inn had these 6 more rooms added to the inn, the following ghostly occurrences began to take place.
* Wine glasses and Goblets – In one incident, a waiter was carrying a tray of wine glasses, when one of the wine glasses rose off the tray, and crashed to the floor, like someone had deliberately thrown it. Some customers witnessed the incident. The waiter took the rest of the day off.
* Goblets located behind the bar, have been known to move and actually fly across the room by themselves.
* Late one evening, a hand carved German mug flew off the shelf behind the bar and hit the bartender on the side of his head, causing a lump!
* Carefully laid silverware has been known to mess itself up and chairs seem to move by themselves.
* Mr. Cahill, an author who collects Maine ghost stories and three of his friends came to collect information on the ghost(s) in this place, and try to figure out who they could be.
* While staying in their room, Mr. Cahill heard nothing as he slept, however, his friend, who was sleeping in the same room, was kept awake all night by a moaning, raspy voice.
* Another one of Cahill’s friends wanted to get up in the early morning, to use the bathroom. However, he sat up in his bed and put his feet on the floor,when suddenly a swirling cold spot engulfed his legs, and he quickly got back into bed.
WHO ARE THE GHOSTLY CANDIDATES?
1) Some believe that the ghost is of Silas Perkins, who owned the building in the 18th century. Something about the new add-on rooms or the renovation efforts of 1980 upset him in some way, so he strikes out in mischievous ways at the living in small ways.
2) Others believe that the rascally presence is Cyrus, who was the quiet, conscientious night clerk, who worked at the inn for many years.
* An older gentleman came in and asked the front desk, if Cyrus was still there. This gentleman had lived at the Inn around the time period of WWII., and had known Cyrus when he was the desk clerk then. He then said that Cyrus had his desk in the room that was directly above the unfinished staircase that went from the cellar to the ceiling.
* A waitress, with some psychic tendencies, was bringing up supplies for the day from a cellar foot locker, when the name, Cyrus, suddenly popped into her head, as she passed the unfinished cellar steps. She had felt his presence hanging out underneath these cellar steps.
* However, one of Cahill’s friends slept in Cyrus’s old room and experienced nothing out of the ordinary.
Perhaps, two ghosts haunt the inn: Silas Perkins and Cyrus.